It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:15 pm

ATENÇÃO: Amigos usuários, antes de postar sua pergunta/dúvida. Favor utilizar a BUSCA em nosso site. Obrigado!

Too Much Oil Given in an Oil Change 

Post Too Much Oil Given in an Oil Change
I recently moved and needed to have my oil changed for the first time in my new area. I went to a Texaco express lube business. I've never had problems in the past with oil changes anywhere I went. When I was almost home, I noticed the car exhaust was emitting smoke. It wasn't doing this prior to the oil change. I don't know much about cars but looked under the hood and checked the dipstick and the oil level was well above where it should be. I let the car sit for a little bit and checked it again and it was the same. I've never had anyone put too much oil in my car before. It looked to me to be a bit extra. I went online and discovered that the smoking was a sign of the oil level being too high. I saw where potentially a great deal of damage could be done to vehicles when they have too much oil. So I headed back to the place and spoke to the manager. He guessed it wasn't going to be much extra but when all the extra was drained, it was a quart and a half more than should have been added. He apologized and said to bring it back if there were any other problems. A bit of oil had spilled out around the filter area when that had been changed and they tried to clean that up some. Driving home I did not notice all the smoking that I had upon my return trip there and it seemed to drive fine. At no point did the oil light or any other lights go on. My car would have been driven no more than 12 miles with the extra oil and the speed varied from 20 to 55 mph, with the majority being 45. However, it was started several times as I'd stopped at a store along the way home after the intial visit and restarted the car after returning home to check better about the smoke. My guess is that it was started a total of seven times after the initial oil change (several times at the facility). After returning from the second visit, the little I'd read online disturbed me and so I looked in the driveway where my car was parked and looked underneath for signs of oil leakage. There were two smaller puddles of oil but I am unsure if this was from my first trip home or this second or a combination of both. There was also water dripping from some point in what I believe is the exhaust system. I cleaned the oil off the concrete so I'll be able to see anything new in the morning. I did notice one area where some oil was coming out very, very slowly, but that could have been from the oil overflowing from when the oil filter was changed. For more details : whiteboard animation

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:13 pm